Saturday, May 31, 2008

Slumber Party!!





This is what my family room looks like when nine kids have been playing, eating pizza (which I tried to contain in the kitchen) and watching TV.


Andrew helping Abby while I attended to one of my many diaper assembly lines. I just would get out a stack of diaper and line everyone up so they were all clean and happy at the same time.


I cannot tell you how many millions times they played with that "Jack-in-the-Box" today but every single time they squealed with laughter!!






We have a few extra kids running around the house this weekend--4 to be exact. So last night I had nine kids nine and under. Tonight I am down to just seven because Jason, Emily and Andrew are in NY but that means my two biggest helpers are not here!! I have in my house right now a 7 year old guest--Grant, a 5 year old guest--Maren, a 2 year old guest--Elise, and a 14 month old guest--Julia, and of course Ethan, Olivia and Abby. Yes that's right five of the seven are 2 or younger!! So, needless to say I have changed a lot of diapers in the last 26 hours (23 wet and 11 dirty to be exact!!). Last night in the middle of the night when I got up to help someone I thought to myself, "What the heck am I doing? This is crazy!" But then I had a thought--for these three days I am not going to be "the mom" concerned about dishes and laundry and picking up and healthy food. Instead this weekend I am going to be "grandma" and play when I want to, and get out bubbles and play dough and make cookies when I should be making dinner. We stayed in our PJ's until 2:30 and we had chocolate chip pancakes for breakfast. Then in the afternoon when that chocolate was out of our systems we made cookies (as you can see Ethan got into one without me knowing and made quite a mess of himself). Any way, my point is...being a grandma is really going to be fun!! We had a great time today (for the most part). And Grant was incredibly helpful with all the little ones. I did want to share a few favorite quotes--




**************************************


At breakfast time--


Maren, "Tammy, my mom usually warms up the syrup...so that it's not so cold and yucky."


Tammy, "Wow, you are so lucky! Your mom is nicer than I am."


Maren, "Yes, she is."


Ouch. I guess I was asking for that one!


**************************************

At bedtime--

Elise, "Tammy, I am scared of the monsters in that closet." (I have never actually had one of my kids say that so I was taken off guard by it.)


Tammy, "Oh, there are no monsters in this house."


Elise, "Why not?"


Tammy, "Because they have such stinky feet I won't let them come in."


Elise, "Oh."


**************************************

Maren upon seeing the clean laundry at the foot of my bed, waiting patiently to be put away--

Maren, "Oh my! I don't think I have ever seen anything quite like that. Do all those cloths belong to just your family?"




Now it really is just a couple days worth of cloths but there are bed linens in there that really bulk up the pile :)


**************************************

I know that Maren had one more really good one but I am too tired to remember it right now. If it comes to me later I will add it on.




7 comments:

  1. Thanks Tammy!! Yes you are a saint, a little bit crazy, and a whole lot smart. Did you mention this swap thing was your idea?? :)Maybe if I have my blog up and running by June 27th when I have 4.5 of your kids I'll have some fun stories and pictures too!! :) Thanks so much for having my crazy, whiney, non-napping, diferently abled, sugar-licking kids! I hope you have some of your sanity back! We got soooo much done! You're the best!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kids are so funny!! the other day I asked Michael(my oldest) to clean after his sister, he got mad and said that he always did and it was not fair, I explain to him that I cooked, cleaned, and did everything for every one else..he answer.. BUT THAT IS YOUR JOB!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are a brave and wonderful friend.

    I loved seeing pictures of Tanji's kids. Grant and Maren are both so tall.

    ReplyDelete
  4. ...and on the 27th Tanji will be pronounced a saint.

    Most days I am struggling to keep my head above water with my own children - you guys are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes. It was my idea--but I had two options to choose from 1) somehow get a kid-free weekend to clean out every closet and drawer in my house or 2) move to a bigger house!! I really am looking forward to my turn later this month :) I really do think we should make this an annual this so we can stay on top of the clutter, Tanj. I guess we'll see how you feel after your turn!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. BTW--Jolin, you deal with three two year olds EVERY DAY, and they were by far the hardest ones to deal with. I happen to think that any mom of triplets is a saint just for making it through the pregnancy let alone infancy and toddlerhood!!

    ReplyDelete