Friday, December 26, 2008

Three Days of Baking


So my baking this year just didn't go how I had planned. (Actually, reflecting on my past few weeks and months many things have not been going as planned--I wonder why that is....) I am not sure I can really even say that I finished baking, I just kind of gave up. My baking usually goes like this


  • pre-baking day--I make a list of everyone I will be bringing a plate or basket to and everything I will be putting on their plate/basket. Then I make a very specific list of how much of everything I will need to make everything so that I only have to go to the store ONCE

  • Baking Day 1-I make around 25 loaves each of Banana Bread and Chocolate Chip Pumpkin Bread

  • Baking Day 2-I make around 200 cookies each of Snicker doodles and The World's Best Chocolate Chip Cookies (and maybe some peanut butter ones if I have time)

  • Baking Day 3-I make three large cookies sheets each of Drizzles (seven layer cookies) and my mom's super yummy Lemon Bars

I know that may sound like a lot but I (usually) really enjoy myself. I love to bake but my family does really eat it so I save all my baking energy from the whole year and pour it into those three days. I don't know what exactly went wrong this year--was it making three (extra) trips to the store by half way through day two? Or was it having my twins get up (repeatedly) from their afternoon naps and want to "help" mommy with her work? Or was it that Abby is still fascinated with the toilet, loves dumping out the toys, enjoys destroying anything anyone is working on, or is it that she is just now tall enough to hit her head on the table as she walks under it and so is repeatedly hitting her head? Jason has suggested I maybe take a break from the whole baking thing next year--I don't know, maybe I can just scale back what I let myself do. But knowing me I will not be able to resist the thought of fresh bread, warm cookies and delicious lemon bars :)

2 comments:

  1. You are sooo much braver than me! I don't know how you do it! Your list is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really Alisa, it is just insanity not bravery. I know that if I didn't love baking soo much I would not do it but I just can't help it. I am already trying to think of ways to make next time go better. It will help having the twins in school more days and not "helping" me quite so much :)

    ReplyDelete