Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Preschool Christmas Program

I have been to many a preschool program in the last nine years and I should know what to expect but somehow I always forget how they really go.


Here's what I was expecting-- We (Jason and I) arrive early and grab the perfect seats. Our twins, perfectly matching and hair still in place, walk quietly in with the rest of their class and sit next to each other. Ethan, so excited to see daddy their gives a little wave. Then they sing the festive songs they have been practicing for the last month at school and singing constantly at the top of their lungs all day every day at home. And then we enjoy some cookies and cider with the kids after.

Here is what really happened--We arrived and the seats I had saved us in the front were on the wrong side of the worship hall from where the kids were sitting. Our kids, for some reason, were seated at opposite ends of the line from each other. This meant that I could get photos of Olivia and Jason (who had gotten up and moved) could get video of Ethan--who was screaming his head off!!--but neither of us could see the other child. Why, oh, why couldn't they (at the school) understand why this was not helpful to me. I actually had no idea that Ethan was even crying until later. Olivia sang, a bit. Ethan screamed a lot! Then instead of the parents picking up their kids from the front of the room the kids were supposed to walk back to the classroom and then get picked up and go back to the cultural hall for cookies. Well, as I already mentions Ethan was already screaming so we tried to just get him right there but they still wanted him and the other kids to walk back to the class room. Once they left and Ethan could no longer see us he completely lost it! In Olivia's words, "He was so sad. He cried a lot and really screamed and then I got scared and I turn to him and he throwed up everywhere. He just throwed up mommy." So in the 30 seconds he was out of my sight he got himself so worked up that he threw up and yet they still made me walk back to the class and sign him out. He was clinging to me covered in throw up and his sister was now crying because she had been thrown up on! The only thing that did cheer him up was the thought of a cookies, which at this point was the last thing on my mind but we went back to the cultural hall anyway. And in the end Ethan, if asked about his preschool program, would tell you he had so much fun singing for his daddy with all his friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment