Thursday, December 24, 2009

Christmas Eve Shopping

No, not the kind of shopping you are thinking of...grocery shopping. I suppose I did put it off unitl the last minute though, and that is not like me this time of year but I decided something while grocery shopping today--Christmas Eve is my FAVORITE day to go grocery shopping :) I know, it sounds crazy. And maybe it IS crazy but let me explain myself. I love people watching, and let me tell you Christmas Eve grocery shopping is a GREAT time for people watching. First of all there are an incredible number of men with long lists and cell phones in their hands. You often see them looking at the list two similar items in their hands trying to figure out whether she meant to write a specific brand down for each item or if she really doesn't care (chances are she didn't but she does ;) Jason offered to go to the store for me but I felt that would have been cruel since something would have been wrong and either my meal would have been tainted by having the wrong thing or I would have had to hurry back to the store myself. Plus, like I said, the people watching!! So the other thing that I LOVE is seeing many generations shopping together. Seeing their similar smiles, or eyes or the way they all inspect the apples they are picking for the pile. It is fantastic. It makes me wish we were closer to family and I could be shopping with my mom today--although my crazy mother probably went at 3am to beat the crowds!!! I think we too often get too busy and caught up in our lives to enjoy the little moments we spend with those we love. I don't think it is the big, elaborate things we miss when we are apart...it is the small, smiple things. Little daily habits, a laugh, a smile--those are the things we truly love about the people in our lives. I hope as this new year is about to begin we can all slow down a bit and remember to enjoy the moment, enjoy time with family and friends, show love for our neighbors and take time to be kind. We could all use a little more kindness in our lives and the best way to have kindness is to give it to all you come into contact with!!

1 comment: