Sunday, June 29, 2008

It Was Our Turn!!!! (48 Kid-Free Hours to Clean)

I really cannot believe I am sharing these but I am hoping I will help you all know that if I can conquer my clutter that any one can!! I don't think these photos even show how bad my closet was--let me tell you about it...my closet is 13 feet x 7 feet (that is bigger than my craft room!!) I could not get to the back half of the closet because there was too much stuff in the way. Now my cloths live at the back of the closet so instead of putting them away I have been leaving the ones I actually wear at the foot of my bed for the last several months. Any way, here's the BEFORE





It took me and Emily an hour and a half just to empty everything from my closet. Then I began the awful task of going through everything. I did not finish until 1:00am But here are the results......
AfterHere is the before and after of our kitchen desk area. That is the spot I use for all the kids crafts. They love to do fun crafts so I wanted them accessible but they were so very jumbled--it was driving me crazy!! I don't think this photo shows quite how bad it was either.I loved emptying things out and deciding where things should go and what should actually get put back in and what should be given away. It was so much fun!!!!






I really do not even understand how all of this fit into my desk and cupboard above it. I also discovered that I really, Really like play dough and apparently if my kids ask for a play dough set I will get it for them because I think that it is so much fun. We had a lot of play dough stuff to go through!!

Here's the result--A cupboard with plenty of space and everything is visible and labeled. I also moved the pens, pencils, markers and scissors up high so the twins cannot (easily) get into them. They had started to help themselves into the thing in the desk recently and I thought I should rearrange things before we ran into problems.

I am so sad I forgot to take a before picture of my butler's pantry. It was messy and overflowing and no there is room to spare!! I love it! This was such a fun weekend working with Jason to get all of this done. Thank you Tanji & Roger and Mark & Kim for taking the kids !!!! Next year Abby can come over too so we'll get even more done!! I thought you all would like to know what exactly we did so here are the projects we tackled--
  • We lowered Abby's crib
  • Clean out the old fridge
  • Put away all the kids cloths (this was bigger than it sounds--Abby's cloths have not ever had a home so now I am totally organized in the laundry dept.)
  • Kitchen desk
  • Four "random" kitchen drawers
  • Butler's pantry
  • red bookshelf
  • kids bathroom
  • PB table
  • FHE cupboard
  • hang pegboards in craft room
  • Wash bedding in the cribs
  • Coat closet
  • Family room toys
  • Entertainment center
  • Green cubbies in kitchen
  • Kitchen Island

We threw out 12 bags of garbage, gave 6 bags to good will , and gave 2 bags of stuff to friends. That is 20 bags all together!!

The only things I did not finish that I wanted to were the linen closet, our bathroom, and my craft room. I will tackle these one at a time over the next couple of days (hopefully :)

OK, I am throwing this in just for fun--we (FINALLY) got a second fridge! It is so fun and beautiful and I love all the space I have between the two. It was just delivered on Saturday while we were doing our cleaning :) I totally want to go and stock up on stuff but we are leaving this week.

No comments:

Post a Comment