Monday, February 9, 2009

Sewing Party

The sewing room. I borrowed a couple of machines and brought down Emily's and got my back-up machine out (although it caused problems all night and I remembered there was a legitimate reason I had wanted a new machine!!) The girls each had their own machine to work on so there was not any time wasted waiting around.


Decisions, decisions...I had out a bunch of fabrics from my stash and let each girl pick 2-3 to make a simple peasant top. They had so much fun choosing and seeing what everyone else was doing.



Below are the party "favors" Emily gave out. I made this cute little bag for each girl with her first initial on it. All the girls were so cute wearing the bags around the house for the last little bit of the party :)

Emily's 10th birthday party was on Saturday afternoon. She invited over 4 of her very good friends (this is the first time I ever made her keep the party small) and they all sewed. I had a bunch of my fabrics laying out for they to choose from and they each picked two. Then they took the pattern (I had already cut one out for each of them) and pinned and cut. Then they pieced their shirts together. Now, only Emily and one other girl had any experience with sewing and even that was quite limited--but all five girls were able to sew and complete their shirts (I am still working on the shirring though). They did a fantastic job. I really thought I was going to end up doing a lot of sewing and I didn't have to do any of it. I think the some of the best things about this party were that 1) it was very unique and I am sure they will always remember it, 2) they each have a really fun "party favor" that has no sugar, small pieces and it doesn't make noise, 3) they each had a good and not scary experience with a sewing machine--a couple of them even mentioned teaching their moms to use the one stuck up in their attics :) I am hoping to have all the shirring later today done so I can deliver the girls their shirt sometime this week. I am so glad Emily had so much fun. I am always grateful that she has some really wonderful, kind friends. Happy Birthday, Sweetie!!

The Girls holding up their pieced shirts at the end of the party. And below you can see the now serged, hemmed and shirred shirts in the finished state :) I personally think they turned out adorable and I am so impressed by the girls and their creativity!!

3 comments:

  1. They turned out really cute Tammy. You are such a brave mom to have a party like that. I think I would be too stressed out.

    I'm planning out my quilt for Presley right now. Ugh, it's hard. I think I have a good plan. I just hope I can make everything match up right.

    I heard you were still sick. What the heck??????

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looked so fun. The girls will always remember that...I'm sure. I can't believe you made bags for them all. The shirts all turned out so cute. Tell me...is 'shirring' what you do on the edges?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brandi--I thought it was going to be a lot harder/more stressful than it turned out to be. Maybe because I am in "my element" with a sewing machine it was amazingly fun!!
    Christy--The shirring is the part that makes the peasant top "poofy" for lack of a better word. You sew several rows around the neckline, armholes and "waist" with elastic thread in the bobbin so it scrunches up a bit-come on over and I'll show you (that would be easier than explaining it with the wrong terms :). Around the edges I did a rolled hem with my serger--that is now my favorite thing to do because it is so quick, easy and cute!!

    ReplyDelete